Saturday, May 16, 2009

I love the way these keys feel in my pocket!


Today, Mary and I took the paperwork for the Cougar to Rosenthal's License Service to get the title switched over into my name and pay for the plates and taxes. I bought new plates for the 1967 Cougar since it was only $6.00 for the remaining year of the Antique plates rather than $12.00 to switch the Antique plates from the 1968 Cougar to the 1967 plus the $6.00 fee for the remaining year. In Illinois, the Antique plate renewal comes up every 5 years and the fee is $30.00 for those five years instead of paying $79.00 each year for normal plates.

As the title suggests I had another point to make in this post. Without realizing it, I really missed the way the keys to older cars feel in my pocket. When I had my 1971 Chevrolet Cheyenne pickup truck and 1968 Chevrolet Camaro in high school I took this small aspect for granted because all keys felt the same in your pocket no matter what car you drove. However, in the last ten to fifteen years car makers have tried to make new vehicles more theft resistant with the addition of chips inside the keys that will only allow the car to start with that key and power locks more convenient with the addition of key fobs and even the addition of power lock buttons on the key itself. Unfortunately this adds to the bulkiness of the keys and causes a major bulge in your pocket. That says nothing about the fact that if you bend down just right the other keys can set off the panic alarm on the car causing everyone in a half mile radius to look at you and wonder what is going on.

I love simplicity and the fact that my pants don't have to weigh another 5 pounds with my keys in my pocket. Now, I can put something useful on my keychain like a bottle opener!

No comments: