Monday, June 1, 2009

Treasure Trove of 1960's Car Magazines


When my parents moved back in 2006 from the house they had lived in since 1980 there was a lot of stuff to move and go through. A long time ago I had found my dad's collection of late 1950's and 1960's car magazines in the basement. He had kept about 10 years worth of Hot Rod magazine, a lot of issues of Rod & Custom, some issues of Car Craft, and some other miscellaneous magazines. After the basement had gotten some water over the years, many things started to collect a film of mold and mildew. At some point I moved them upstairs to my old bedroom so they wouldn't get ruined. After I got married I would borrow a year of Hot Rod magazines from time to time to look at and then return them to the collection. A car culture library of sorts.

When I first started researching older cars to buy and settled on the fact that a Mercury Cougar was near the top of the list, I found the magazine pictured above. This issue of High Performance Cars (Vol. 9, No. 10 - November 1966 - Royal Publications, Inc.) has an article about the 1967 Mercury Cougars and the big block, 390 cubic inch engine that was offered in the first model year.

When they were moving things to the new house I asked my dad if he wanted the magazines. He said he wanted to keep them around (we were recycling many of the magazines that he had from the 1990's and 2000's), but that I could have them. I knew the magazines were still in the boxes so I made sure to grab them and bring them home. I wanted to keep them nice, but not necessarily in archival bags and boards like comic books. So, I stacked them neatly in a sealed, plastic bin in my basement to keep them safe. Now when I see a reprint in Hot Rod or want to research something I just go to the basement and get what I need. Thanks Dad!

No comments: