Monday, July 27, 2009

I am NOT paying the State of Illinois $800

As I blogged a while back, I bought the 1967 Mercury Cougar a few months ago. In Illinois, if you buy a vehicle that is less than $15,000 and it is 11 or more years old the buyer only pays $25.00 in tax. I paid that when I registered the vehicle and applied for the title. A couple of weeks ago I received a letter from the IL Dept. of Revenue that they did a review and feel that I paid between $15,000 and $19,999 and I owe the state $800 more dollars ($750 in tax, $73.00 late payment penalty, and $2.00 interest). I paid well under $10,000 for the vehicle, so in order to not pay this bogus charge I have to prove them wrong. I have written a letter to refute their review of my purchase. Luckily, I have a bunch of paperwork that I saved from when I bought the vehicle. I don't like being called a liar!

Here is the letter that I am sending to the Illinois Department of Revenue:

July 22, 2009

Illinois Department of Revenue
101 West Jefferson Street
P.O. Box 19015
Springfield, IL 62794-9015

To Whom It May Concern:

I received a letter from your agency dated July 7, 2009 regarding the 1967 Mercury Cougar (VIN xxxxxxxxxx) that I bought earlier this year for [under $15,000]. I am writing this letter to refute the review done by your agency. I do not plan on paying the balance of $800.00 in taxes as suggested by your review. If you find this does not completely absolve me from paying said amount in taxes please contact me to advise.

I have enclosed copies of:
  • The signed bill of sale between myself (the buyer) and the seller and signed by both parties on April 18, 2009 stating that I bought the vehicle for [under $15,000].
  • Bank records of the withdrawal of cash funds from two separate banks on the day of the sale (April 18, 2009) to pay the seller for the vehicle.
  • A printed ad from Craigslist.org dated April 14, 2009 listing the vehicle in question for sale with an asking price of $8,900.
  • The copy of the RUT-50 form from when the seller applied for the title. This document shows that the seller purchased the vehicle for $5,000.
  • A copy of the title from the previous owner with the seller's information and the same vehicle in question.

Thank you,

S. C. A.

No comments: