Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Time Is Running Out On Winter Projects

As Spring quickly approaches it's time to start thinking about getting the Mercury out of the garage again.  Last Saturday, I went to my parent's house where the Cougar has been sleeping for the winter to rouse it from its slumber.  I started the car and let it run for a while and then my dad and I took it for a ride around the country roads. Today would have been a perfect day to drive as it was in the low 70's and sunny all day.  However, you can't always count on that

Projects:

  • Paint the hood scoop red and take off the rear spoiler and fill in the holes
  • Check out transmission - adjust bands, add new fluid, new filter, and pan gasket
  • Install new KYB gas-a-just shocks on all four corners
  • Start gathering parts for the missing heater system
  • Shine wheels
  • Wash and wax car

As a Christmas present my dad offered to pay to have the hood scoop and rear spoiler painted.  However, I would like to remove the spoiler as I don't think it looks right and takes away from the lines that I like about the car.  So, I need to call my dad's friend Tom and have him check the paint color so he can match the scoop and trunk lid for the right color. I would also like to see if he can paint a

Tonight, I called my dad's friend Steve and tentatively scheduled a day to drop the transmission pan and check out the guts of the C-4. Hopefully, the gears look good and will not need a rebuild.

I found out recently that another friend is moving back to the area in a few weeks and I plan on asking him to help with the installation of the new shocks as I have never tackled this sort of project myself.

Last weekend I stopped by the Mustang Corral and got some prices on what I needed to put the stock heater system back into the car.  This will help keep the rushing cold air from coming inside the cabin and help with rides later in the year when the weather gets cooler.  I asked about a possible trade for the spoiler and they said that was possible so I'm happy about that prospect.

Next I need to think about what car shows I might want to attend.

No comments: