Wednesday, March 31, 2010

The To-Do List Is Growing

Ten days ago when I had the Cougar up on the lift working on the transmission filter replacement I had some time to look around the undercarriage of the car.  I was checking out the suspension parts and noticed some significant cracking on the strut rod bushings.

I still had some money left from my second place finish in my Fantasy Baseball league from last year. I figured I would get some more parts for the Cougar to install. On Monday after work I bought a strut rod bushing kit from the Mustang Corral in Edwardsville.  The Mustang Corral sources the kits they sell from American Pony Parts. Here's the description listed on their website:

STRUT ROD BUSHING KIT 1967-73
Includes the steel cup washers.

We use a softer grade of Midolyne for strut rod bushings. Too firm and it can snap the rod. Strut rods stop the body when the brakes stop the suspension. Worn and compressed bushings create eratic handling and result in a "CLUNK" sound and feel when braking Kit does One (1) Car.



I am not hearing the "clunk" noise they are describing, but replacing worn out bushings with new polyurethane replacements can't be a bad thing. I hope that when the new gas shocks and this kit get installed that the handling on the Cougar becomes even better. However, I'm sure that there will be a few other things to correct as well. I am also thinking about having the manual steering box rebuilt too.


Just more items for the list…

I promise to take pictures of this project when I get to it in the next couple of weeks.

No comments: