Sunday, September 27, 2009

Cougar Safety Item To Do Checklist

After I installed the backup lights (see previous post) Mary came home from the Strange Folk Festival. Right about then Elsie got up from her nap and we all went to dinner. After dinner I made a pit stop at Auto Zone to get some amber bulbs for the front parking lights on the Cougar (PN 1157A).  The store was out of the normal packages of two bulbs, but the clerk ended up selling me a box of 10 for commercial accounts for $1 more than I would have spent if I bought two.  His reasoning was that it was better to make a sale rather than none at all. NICE! Now I have some in reserve for my emergency kit.

After we put Elsie to bed I installed the light bulbs for the parking lights. This was easier said than done. The parking light housings are a little worn and I needed to spray some WD-40 to get them moving again. I finally got both of the lights in after much pushing and twisting and a few choice obscenities. Unlike the backup light project this bulb replacement yielded great results!  Both of the bulbs worked as they should. When I pulled the switch on the dash out partially the parking lights came on. When I pulled the switch out all the way the parking lights went off. Good so far.  Then I tested the turn signals. Both bulbs also blinked when I turned the turn signal switch left and right. This is an exciting development because now the other drivers in front of me will know when I am turning left and right again!  Sometimes little victories are just as sweet as the big victories.

Along with my thoughts about the emergency kit is to focus on the safety features of the Cougar rather than aesthetics first. This would include getting all the lights to function as they should, making sure that I can change a tire if the need should arise, and make the windshield wiper system function as it should.  A secondary issue with the ride and steer ability.  The shocks that I bought a while back need to be installed and a front and rear sway bar should help in controlling the car through corners.

Parts Needed
Replace driver side exterior mirror - $124.95 (Mustangs Unlimited) - $122.85 (WCCC)
Replace tinted windshield - $199.95 (Mustangs Unlimited)
Replace turn signal switch in steering column - $79.95 (Mustangs Unlimited) $84.75 (WCCC)
Replace windshield wiper blades - $9.95 each (Mustangs Unlimited) $17.00 each (WCCC)
Replace front sway bar - $99.00 (Mustang Corral)

Replace scissors jack - $135.00 (WCCC)
Replace lug wrench - $ ?
Replace spare tire -
Install Door Jamb courtesy light switch passenger side door - $4.85 (WCCC)
Install windshield wiper motor - $104.96 (Mustangs Unlimited)
Install windshield wiper reservoir - $34.95 (Mustangs Unlimited) $23.85 (WCCC)
Install windshield wiper lines - $5.95 (Mustangs Unlimited) $6.85 (WCCC)
Install taillight wiring protectors - $29.95/pair (Mustangs Unlimited) $23.85 (WCCC)
Install fan shroud - $49.95 (Mustangs Unlimited) $48.85 (WCCC)
Install horn - $99.00 (Year One) - $27.85 (WCCC)
Install Battery Hold-down Clamp Kit - $11.00 (WCCC)
Install radiator overflow - $ ?
Install rear sway bar - $99.00 (Mustang Corral)

To Do:
Install KYB gas shocks - previously purchased
Aim headlights - no cost
Flush radiator

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Why is everythig from mustangs unlimited????? Are the parts interchangeable? this all sounds pretty pricey - have you thought about getting used parts where you can????

Don't forget the winking lights!!!!!

Paul